Thursday, August 26, 2010
Wednesday, August 25, 2010
We're home. restored. I am breathing better. Actually, I've picked up a chest cold but nonetheless I have been rejuvinated. The stress is gone from the shoulders and I have re-charged. We've even had hints of fall weather and I am loving it.
Lots of reflection so here we go.
I have a tendency to raise the bar too high for myself and then I get overwhelmed. viscious circle. I am always checking in on the balance. Seasonal shifts are great. Although I'm not returning to school, I find it necessary to thank summer for a great, although hot, time and look forward to fall and new beginnings.
Bits of reflection.
- I want to cook more and better. Nothing elaborate. I've also come to the realization that easy is the key on certain week days.
- As much as I am enjoying blogging, I am finding it is taking a good percentage of my craft/inspiration time. Looking forward, I want to prioritize doing rather than writing about it (realizing though, that that is cool too!)
- letting things go. I wanted to do some preserving/canning this summer and maybe there is still time but realistically there might not be. And that is ok. there's always next year.
- I realize I am a continuous learner. And that is a good thing.
- I am glad to be crafting monthly with my friends. I look forward to this time and revel in their creativity.
- My kids are growing fast. Life is full of moments. I know I can be doing more and creating this 'perfect' childhood. who am I kidding? I'm doing pretty good. I love the imperfections.
- With our new home (it's been a year!), I get overwhelmed with how I want things to look and the energy/money associated. baby steps. prioritize and plan. Can't do it all. It wouldn't be fun.
- There a lot of creative people out there and it is not a competition. I do what I can. If I get ETSY up and some craft shows, great. If not, oh well. There's always tomorrow. I'd rather make things I am proud of. I need to start doing. And I am...
- I need to schedule more fun time for me. Otherwise, days go to fast and robotic mode sets in. not so fun heading toward burn out.
- I'm working on finding the cozy spots in our home. It's important. Just takes more than snapping fingers.
Phew. It feels good and right.
Thursday, August 12, 2010
Wednesday, August 11, 2010
Originally uploaded by I am Old Lib
I planted tomatillo from seed for the first time. It is a plant with lots of flowers, taking over a bit of the garden. I'm not seeing any fruit. Perhaps it is too early but from some posts I am reading, I should have planted more than 1 seedling nearby.
Still enjoying the foliage but would love to see suprise fruit. In the winter, I dreamed of salsa. still dreaming.
Tuesday, August 10, 2010
Friday, August 6, 2010
Thursday, August 5, 2010
Here's a smock for little Lucy. (From Amy Karol's awesome book, Bend-the-Rules Sewing: Swing Swing Smock)
A dear friend from my younger years - straight out of college, living a carefree life in Boston - visited with her husband and daughter. We caught up as if it were yesterday.
MATERIAL: feedsack from stash along with blue linen pocket trimmed in rick rack.
Wednesday, August 4, 2010
Our boy (O) who doesn't like to have his picture taken asked me to capture this moment. Daddy would never believe how high we were getting on this teeter totter. We definitely hit the solar system that day. All was good in our little spot of Earth.
Tuesday, August 3, 2010
My newest addition to the craft room.
O and I found this frame at a garage sale earlier this summer - a $2 find! Ayd Hardware, our local hardware store, inserted a mirror and this frame has new life. I primed, applied a mixture of red and silver paint and sanded for a bit of a rough, worn look.
Through the mirror you can see the new dress I picked up at Filene's Basement while in Chicago. Love it!
Monday, August 2, 2010
Off a quiet weekend at home. Necessary after business the past couple weeks. During my trip to Chicago, I caught a glimpse of this. Wish I could remember the store.
Summer has been very good but a whirlwind of an adventure. I miss those simple days.
I'm enjoying every breath of August.
- family vacations
- jump starting 'I am OLD Lib'
- preserving our summer goodness (canned fruit and veggies)
- planting seedlings for winter crops (not already!)
- getting kids ready for school
- smelling the ocean and walking in sand
- going to the pool
- smores and tents
- working on some applique
There really is lots to love.
I've worn this 'outfit' quite a bit. I love that it is unique. It feels like me (whatever THAT means!) As I'm making more and feeling more comfortable 'making', it is still wonderful to hear 'You made that?!'. simple pleasures.